Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

What is a "shift kit?"

What is a "shift kit?"

What is a "shift kit?"

I recently bought a Chevy Silverado with a "shift kit" on it.  Now, the only thing I know about this thing, is that it makes my automatic transmission shift at a higher rpm than normally and makes in-town gas milage really bad.  I have looked at a couple of these online and I think I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like, what I want to know is this:  What is it attached to, and how should I go about getting rid of/replacing it to return to normal automatic shifting?  Thanks ahead of time for your response.

RE: What is a "shift kit?"

Traditionally, the auto trans, used a "hydraulic computer", AKA, the "valve body", that would measure the engine RPM, vehicle speed, engine load (vacuum) and throttle position, then determine the optimum shift points and hydraulic pressures for economy, smoothness and efficient power transfer (no slippage). Shift kits replace portions or all of the valve body with modified orifices, springs, diaphragms, etc, that shift the balance towards power (hence the higher shift RPM, when the engine is making more power) and more pressure on the clutches and bands to preclude slippage. If your truck is a late model, many of these functions are now done by the electronic computer, still measures and controls the same things, but the changes are made in the EEPROM or "chip". If the change is in the valve body, you probably need the instructions from the kit to identify the springs and orifices that need to be restored to stock, if its electronic, you need to put a stock chip or program back in (some are chips, some are programs, which need security codes to overwrite the existing program)  Good luck.


RE: What is a "shift kit?"


Thank you very much for your response.  It seems from your reply that I will need professional assistance.  Thanks again.


RE: What is a "shift kit?"

depending on specific model of transmission, it may have something called a "vacuum modulator".
This is a device (mounts to the case of the transmission) that uses engine manifold vacuum to signal engine load to the transmision.
Less vacuum=more load.

some of these are adjustable.
if a vacuum leak exists, it will "see" less vacuum, and shift "later" as if you had a higher load than you really have.

check it out...


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close