Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


EN standard vs. ATEX

EN standard vs. ATEX

EN standard vs. ATEX

We are a US company with several small chemical plants in Europe.  We are trying to deal with the new ATEX standards, but we really can't find anywhere, what we're suppose to do!

First I want to get this straight:  ATEX is only for equipment rating to be placed in hazardous areas.  EN standard (not sure which ones I need) provides guidelines on hazardous area and boundaries.  Is that correct?

So, ATEX is fairly new, while the EN standard hasn't changed.

If our Area Classification drawings are up to date, is there anything we have to do with the new ATEX standard???  Do we have to verify the existing equipment is labeled ATEX?  Is there a grandfather clause?

Is there any good information on the web that explains what existing plants have to do?

RE: EN standard vs. ATEX

ATEX is an European Directive. It's law and became into force when every country aproves it.
It's a new approach Directive.
To afix CE mark in new products all Directives must be met if applicable.
EN are standards. Not laws.
But to meet Directive's requirements, some standards are approved as harmonized standars which fullfil them without further checks.
Most Directives refers to new products and its first put in market, but some of them refers to other equipment previosly in market too.
Some of the Directives requires a Notified Body to afix CE mark but others don't and manfr. is the only one to do it.
Look at

Regards from Barcelona
G. García

RE: EN standard vs. ATEX

Gracias por su ayuda.

Enough of my poor Spanish.

I have the two Directives that I need.  One is 94/9/EC (ATEX 95), which is really more for manufacturers, and the other is 1999/92/EC (ATEX 137), which is for employers.  My concern is with ATEX 137.  

It states that the employer is responsible to verify everything is rated for the explosive atmosphere.  We can do that, but what is the reference document used in Europe?

In the US we have NFPA 497 which is used as a basis for determining distances, boundaries and areas for explosive atmospheres.  What is/are the document(s) in Europe that are used for reference in determineing the boundaries for the different zones of classification?

RE: EN standard vs. ATEX

Areas for explosive atmospheres are classified in Low Tension electrical Regulations(REBT) in Class I and Class II.
In Class I areas risks are because of gas, steam or fog
In Class II areas risks are because of dust
Within Class I, zone 0, 1 and 2 are defined as a funtion of frecuency.
Within Class II, zone 20, 21 and 22 are defined.
Rules for stablish which zones within Class I are 0, 1 or 2 are in the standard EN 60079-10 (also standard CEI or IEC 60079)
Rules for stablish which zones within Class II are 20, 21 or 22 are in the standard CEI 61241-3 (or IEC 61241)
European acord for transport of Hazmat (ADR) refers to same standard CEI 60079 for classification of zones in order to choose electrical equipment in tanks.
See also EN 50014, 50015, 50016, etc. for classification or electrical equipment.
Hope this helps.

Regards from Barcelona
G. García

RE: EN standard vs. ATEX

Thanks again!!!  This is what I was looking for.

RE: EN standard vs. ATEX

Try :-





Get :-

EN 1127-1 (Explosive atmopspheres - Explosion prevention and protection)
EN 13463-1 (Non-electrical equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres - basic method and requirements)
EN 13463-5 (Non-electrical equipment intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres - Protection by constructional safety)
EN 50281-3 (Equipment for use in the presence of combustible dust - Classification of areas where combustible dusts are or may be present)

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close