Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Double Block Bleed Valve

Double Block Bleed Valve

Double Block Bleed Valve

What are Double Block Bleed Valves. Where are the valves used. Some more constructional features are welcome. What is the basic configuration of the Valve (Gate/Globe/Ball), is it a substitute to any of the above valves.

RE: Double Block Bleed Valve


A double block and bleed setup is one form of positive isolation to allow personnel entry into a confined space. Perhaps the best source for mandated usage in the US is OSHA, specificaly CFR 1910.146: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9797

In this standard, OSHA provides a couple of relevant definitions:
"Isolation" means the process by which a permit space is removed from service and completely protected against the release of energy and material into the space by such means as: blanking or blinding; misaligning or removing sections of lines, pipes, or ducts; a double block and bleed system; lockout or tagout of all sources of energy; or blocking or disconnecting all mechanical linkages.

"Double block and bleed" means the closure of a line, duct, or pipe by closing and locking or tagging two in-line valves and by opening and locking or tagging a drain or vent valve in the line between the two closed valves.

The simplest form of a double block and bleed setup is two gate valves with a short pipe between them with a small, typically 3/4" "bleeder" gate valve in between them. The two primary gate valves can be closed and the bleeder opened to bleed off any fluid which is trapped or is entering through a leaking upstream valve. The likelyhood of the fluid continuing through the downstream valve with no pressure to drive it is minimal, thus protecting the downstream piping (or equipment) from the fluid.

Other options include two back to back gate valves. One of the valves has a tap in the body to provide the bleed function. Other valves exist which can perform the entire double block and bleed function with one valve (eg: a double disk gate valve with the cavity in between discs equipped with a bleeder).


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close