Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


How to connect ductile iron to copper pipe

How to connect ductile iron to copper pipe

How to connect ductile iron to copper pipe

Need help.  I have a 4" ductile iron pipe, class 53, for domestic water use coming from the downstream side of a backflow device.  It needs to be connected to a 4" copper pipe, type K for on-site drinking water use. Specifically, what technique should be used to connect the two for cathodic protection?  If you have a certain manufacturer and model of a part that would be very helpful.


RE: How to connect ductile iron to copper pipe

  You need a mechanical joint transition fitting. Get the outside circumference of both pipes, and go to the link below, they have every type of fitting you need. There are other supplier's out there, probably closer to you, you just need to know what you're looking for. As far as protection from galvanic corrosion, the only part of the m.j. coupling touching both pipes is the rubber gasket, which is your protection. A question for you- Is the backflow device installed as meter protection, meaning directly after the connection to the utility's meter?


RE: How to connect ductile iron to copper pipe

That link from willis is a good source.
Hate to say it, but Texas can do some things right, they sure do pipe and fittings nicely.
A guy from Texas was visiting Fort Knox and the guide said that there was enough gold there to build a five foot high fence all the way around Texas.
The Texan said, "Yeh, and if we liked it we would buy it."


RE: How to connect ductile iron to copper pipe

I'd use a mech joint sleeve with mega lug retainers. Put a blind plug on the copper side, tapped out for pipe thread. Screw in a 4 inch sweat copper to 4 inch iron pipe thread adapter and silver solder the copper in. Also put a conductivity strap from the coper to the backwater fitting. this sounds more like "hire a plumber" than engr. question.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close