Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool

Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool

Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool

Several years ago I was at a vehicle assembly plant on assignment for a few months.  An engineer who had spent time in Japan had a small pocket scale that was specifically designed for reading gaps, like in doors, decklids and anyplace else on the body.  

This particular gap measurement tool was about the length of a pocket scale, and no wider.  It was triangular in shape.  The tip is inserted into a gap and when it goes no further, the tick mark at that point tells you what the gap is, in mm (maybe the other side was inches).  

Has anyone seen such a tool or know where I can order some in the US?  I have seen other gap tools with steps, but I am looking for the triangular version.



RE: Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool


That tool is often referred to as a taper gauge.  Here is one supplier.

Kagiya Trading
P.O. Box 21052
Nashville, TN

Hope that helps.

RE: Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool

I'm not sure if you have access to RS components over there in the US - but I know they used to stock one.  I know it wont come as any consolation - but I have one of these mysef and much prefer to use a Lupe (10:1 magnifying glass with a scale)

best wishes


RE: Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool

Thanks to both of you.  I will pursue those leads.  :)

RE: Body Gap Measurement Pocket Tool

Now that I know the name of it, I was able to do an internet search and there were a few companies who sell them.  Here's what it looks like if anyone else is interested.  I hope this link hooks up to the right page - it should show the tool as available through spartantools.com


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close