Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Apartment Floor Joist Support

Apartment Floor Joist Support

Apartment Floor Joist Support

I am looking to put a 110 Gallon aquarium in my second floor apartment. I figure the weight of the tank filled will be in the neighborhood of 1200 pounds in an area of 60" x 18". The question I am wondering about is, "Will the floor support this weight?" Any ideas out there?

RE: Apartment Floor Joist Support

The answer to you question depends on the length of span, size of joists and if there is any load bearing partitions with the range of the span. Need more info.

RE: Apartment Floor Joist Support

Shanek, this is definately something you should have a professional look at as your tank exceeds the live load that is required for the floor of your apartment.  Code (IBC and UBC) specifies that the engineer check for 40 PSF, and your tank is on the order of 160 PSF.

RE: Apartment Floor Joist Support

Your best case scenario is to put it directly over load-bearing walls, but that doesn't guarantee the landlord will go along with it and it doesn't guarantee the current condition (termites, perhaps) of the building is capable of it.

RE: Apartment Floor Joist Support

swBausch is right.  Check with your landlord before doing anything.  Yes your load approaches 150-160 psf but that would not be applied over the entire floor as would the 40 psf design live load.  Still, a 1000-1200 lb point load is pretty heavy.  If your land lord allows this, I would do as swBausch says, put it over a load bearing wall or column if you have one, and it would probably be a good idea to hire a professional to take a look at it.  If something goes wrong and the aquarium causes damage, do you want to be responsible?

RE: Apartment Floor Joist Support

I suspect you will be required to obtain renter's insurance for this. It is standard practice for most apartment complexes for aquariums and waterbeds. On the plus side, renter's insurance is cheap and it also protects you against many other civil liabilities.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close