Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

I don't know if there is any ASME VIII-1 (ASME B31.3 and B31.1 also) certification for engineers located overseas in Europe by instance.

RE: ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

I asked certification for engineers (kind of recognition) not for company.

RE: ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

I asked certification for engineers (kind of recognition) not for company.
I think it's like PE but I don't know if this exist overseas !

RE: ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

No such certification for engineers (the designer) exists in the USA, and I doubt that it exists oversees.  This applies to Section VIII, Div 1,  B31.1 and B31.3.  B31.3 recently added provisions for qualifications for the designer (para. 301.1) but this calls for a combination of education and experience (including an option for a PE), and is not based on any certification program.

In the USA, PE is professional engineer which is a licensing program not specifically associated with the codes.  

A licensed PE is required by code to be involved in Section VIII, Div 2 vessel design (User's Design Spec and Manufacturer's Design Report).

RE: ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

I responded to you in this thread: Thread178-71254

RE: ASME VIII-1 certified engineer


Thank cb4.

Leanne, I asked 2 things different : certification for welding engineer (AWS Forum) and certification for pressure vessel and piping designer (ASME Forum).
I conclude that there is a AWSCWEng not equivalent to EWE (EWF). And for pressure vessel there is a kind of "chatered engineer" but not overseas.

RE: ASME VIII-1 certified engineer


No special certification program, however as mentioned by cb4 above, a Professional Engineer is required for Section VIII div 2. In addition in some juridictions a P.E. is required for repair and alterations.

You are correct in that the AWS CWEng is not equivalent to the EWE program. AWS is the USA acceditation body for the IWE dipolma which is equivalent, though at the present time having an IWE diploma is generally not required in the USA.  It haowever hmay become important in the future due to the European Pessure Equipment Directive.  


Though the Insitute of Engineers,Australia and the National Engineering Registration Board there is a Pressure Equipment Design Verifier


One must be a Chartered Professional Engineer.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close