Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Tying corner (cripple) top plates where conduit bored through

Tying corner (cripple) top plates where conduit bored through

Tying corner (cripple) top plates where conduit bored through

I'm looking for a method to mend a top plate at a corner where an electric service conduit has been bored and placed through the double top plate:

Specifically, imagine a corner where two (rotted) cripple walls meet.  One entire wall was completely replaced, while the remaining original only needs the bottom member of the top plate replaced (it goes under the intersecting new wall).  The top plate of this remaining wall is good.  So in order to reestablish a lap at the corner, the bottom chord of the top plate is replaced; but only till the first cripple stud.  Now, imagine that in this 16" someone has bored an 1-1/2" electrical conduit dead center between the two top plates.

I have an architect that says its okay to mend a not-bored splice with MST-27 straps, but not if half the strap cannot be nailed to each half of the top plates.

Hopefully I've described it in enough detail.  Any approved splice recommendations?


RE: Tying corner (cripple) top plates where conduit bored through

You might consider sheathing both sides of the corner in plywood or osb...

RE: Tying corner (cripple) top plates where conduit bored through


I am sheeting the inside with the earthquake-prescriptive bracing-plywood.  I wanted, for framing inspection purposes, the remedy to  be apparent.

I have been told I can make a mock bottom "triple plate" with blocking between the existing studs, and then tie all the two bottom (of three) top plate members together with a strap.  Apparently this will be enough to pass the framing inspection.

Any other ideas are welcome.  Thanks    

RE: Tying corner (cripple) top plates where conduit bored through

A comment from Zone 4 country:
How to mend a top plate? Hmmm. Remember, we are talking about the backbone of the structure here. I therefore tend to be rather conservative when it comes to this situation. The correct solution depends upon the amount of lateral load on the shear wall. The more lateral load there is on the wall, the more reason to engineer the detail. I hope that the inspector is knowledgeable enough to correctly direct you on this decision. If you have reason to doubt his decision, then get it engineered.

-Richard L. Flower, P. E.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close