Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here



where we use gate valves  and ball valves?

RE: valves

The reason no one replies to this post just because you are asking a down to earth question :0). Don't worry, I have enough sympathy to cordially reply to you. Come to this web site and you will become a valve expert http://www.vma.org/
Hope it will help you.

RE: valves

ok i'll be there .thanks

RE: valves

Gee, let me guess...

Ball Valve - throttle (ing) valve.

Gate Valve - shut off valve (full on or full off only)

Butterfly Valve - Fancy, quick acting gate valve.

Valve 101

Valve 201 involves needles...

RE: valves

Actually ball valves aren't great for throttling, unless you're talking about something like Fisher's vee-ball line.  With that exception in mind, usually you'll only want to use them for block valves, like gates & butterflies.  The advantage they have over gates (depending on size) is the quarter-turn operation makes them easy to fit with relatively low torque actuators.  For throttling you'll usually want to use a globe valve.  For instance, in the natural gas field, emergency shutdown valves are usually quarter-turn ball valves rigged with pneumatic piston actuators.  Manual block valves at battery limits and such are usually gate valves.

RE: valves


I consider myself properly spanked and educated, now.

You are correct about the globe valve.  I was thinking globe but ball came out of my fingers when I was typing.


RE: valves

hi gentlmen
now i have a large idea about ball and gate valves, thank everybody.

RE: valves

I'm sure by now this is a dead subject, but I'm dying to add my 2 cents! As most have pointed out that these valve are normally used as block valves. the advantage to the ball valve is that it's a 1/4 turn operation, and after having to deal with an old rusty gate valve you'll quickly learn why the 1/4 turn valve are favored. UNLESS you have to pay for them. Ball valves start to be come more expensive in about the 3" size and higher. That's when gate valves start to look more attractive. Be that as it may, dimensionally gates and ball valves are the same size to about 6", so you can change you mind later down the road. AGAIN, my 2 cents!  ...Mark

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close