Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Department of Transporation Regulations

Department of Transporation Regulations

Department of Transporation Regulations

Are the Department of Transportaion Regulations regarding the shipment of explosives available on the web? How about military specifications? The National Fire Protection Association and DOT have guidelines for emergency responders for dealing with accidents involving explosives - are these guidelines available on the web?

RE: Department of Transporation Regulations

Although I deal mostly with DOT reg for the marine industry, I might be able to point you in a direction for a response. DOT regulates interstate commerce and those little diamond shaped placards you see on all trucks distinguishes the type of hazardous material being moved. I believe in New York explosives are regulated to the tunnels going into town as compared to the bridges or the other way round. The point being permits are required and by that also explain the routes available. Probably depends on the amount also. As for the emergency response info, check out EPA also concerning HAZMAT and HAZWHOPER info. Incidently the DOT does publish a small book explaining how to read the Placards and the procedure for approaching an accident containing all kinds of hazardous material. Explosives being one type of problem. Courses are held around the country for people to get certified in handling various materials. My certifications refer to 49 CFR part 172 and 29 CFR part 1910. To find all CFR's ( government regs), try the government printing office on the web and then select the CFR you are interested in. I think you'll probably want something easier than going thru all those regs but that's where they are.
Gary H. Schrickel C/E

RE: Department of Transporation Regulations

Domer - thanks for your reply - I've had "beginner" HAZWOPER training and we received the DOT classification handbook that you describe. I will take a few hours and surf the federal register looking at 49 CFR - it's pretty intensive but does constitute the real deal <grin>.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close