Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Standard for Metal Bottle/Cylinder Formed Threads

Standard for Metal Bottle/Cylinder Formed Threads

Standard for Metal Bottle/Cylinder Formed Threads


I am trying to develop some attachments that will thread onto an existing tool. The attachments are metal cylinders. The existing one that I am examining is shown in the picture below. I am trying to find the thread size of this cylinder so I can model and tolerance it correctly. However, I am having trouble finding a thread standard for threads that are formed in metal. I have found that this is called thread forming or thread rolling, but that is not resulting in much help when searching. Is anyone familiar with the correct nomenclature or standard relevant to these types of threads?

The major diameter is Ø1.81" (46mm), pitch: 8 TPI, 3.5 turns total.

Thank you!

RE: Standard for Metal Bottle/Cylinder Formed Threads

We had a similar experience; we could find no references.
We molded it in a special non-shrinking silicone compound, and then molded a positive of the part so that we had a reference part.
We then had custom thread cutting tools ground to match.
Ours were SS and we ended up using Al Bronze for the female part to minimize galling risks.
We also found that the vessel was very flexible, sometimes this helped and sometimes it hurt us.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close