Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

Hello, I have been doing some research into my new job opportunity in texas. Currently at the moment I have been out of university for a couple years and been an EIT with my provincial board. I notice there is an agreement between texas and canada for P.Eng and PE, however I cannot find any information regarding my current situation as an EIT here in Canada. Can anyone provide some clairity on this?
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RE: Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

It's a matter of contacting the Texas association and seeing what they require.

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates


RE: Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

Generally speaking, Texas only requires that an EIT have graduated from an engineering or science program approved by the board and have passed the FE exam. I'm not sure if you take the FE exam in Canada or not. If you do, it would be as simple as sending your transcript from college and the exam results verification to the board as part of your application. If you haven't taken the FE, you would likely have to take it to be certified as an EIT.

RE: Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

MRose98: you appear to be in Newfoundland. Here in Alberta, you can write the NCEES FE exam in either Calgary or Edmonton multiple times per year. There are quite a few oilfield professionals that work both in Alberta and Texas, so APEGA started offering the exams here for Canadian P.Eng.'s to get the American P.E.

As I recall from an APEGA presentation, the pass rate for Canadian professionals taking the exam was quite high: over 80% passed on the first try.

Our former Registrar, Neil Windsor (from the rock!) did a lot of work with NCEES in the early 2000s to establish reciprocity.

RE: Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

When i moved overseas as an EIT, i waited a couple years and applied for P.Eng through my provincial board.

Took a while for my P.Eng application to process. they were curios why i was applying for canadian p.eng, as i was based in another country. but i did tick the box for 1 year canadian experience, so i was all good and was granted P.Eng.

once i had my P.eng from canada, it made applying in my new local jurisdiction much easier than starting fresh as an EIT. there was a streamlined process for getting local P.E. , as i was already a canadian P.Eng

RE: Canada EIT transfer process for Texas?

I attempted this a few years back. TX would do an easy comity application with the Canadian provinces but with a catch: it was a temporary license meant to be used on a project by project basis so long as I did not have work authorization in the US (NAFTA, Green card etc). That didn't work for me as I was seeking a permanent license. I'm not sure that there's any great benefit to pursuing EIT status in the US. I'd just start chipping away on your US PE. And a great place to start that is by building yourself an NCEES record which will, in time, include:

1) Equivalency evaluation of your Canadian education (I assume). Ideally via the Washington Accord rather than an expensive, case by case evaluation.

2) Record of your having passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.

3) Record of your having passed the PE exam when the time comes.

4) Your work history and references.

Working the US, you often need licensure in a lot of states. So best to get it done by the book per the usual US process I feel. The NCEES record facilitates that by helping you to build what, effectively, becomes a living comity application that you can use all of the US (and some provinces). That, particular given how early in your career and licensing journey you are.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close