Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Hazardous Material (Liquids in 55 gallon drums) Storage Warehouse?

Hazardous Material (Liquids in 55 gallon drums) Storage Warehouse?

Hazardous Material (Liquids in 55 gallon drums) Storage Warehouse?

We have an industrial client that is looking to build a warehouse structure to house different hazardous (flammable/combustible) liquids shipped from overseas that will be either resold or down-packed and resold. Currently we are investigating the feasiblity of the project and have run into a few road blocks. My understanding is that the amount of hazardous material allowed is very limited and would require "control areas" to segment off where the material is stored based on fire hazard info in IBC. This would be cost prohibitive in our situation to build individual control areas and the amount of areas required. The client wants to investigate storing the product in Connex boxes (outside and under overhange of roof), trailers or storing directly in facility. So far, it is my understanding that bringing this material into a covered warehouse (whether enclosed or open shed (roof only)) would not be allowed per IBC. I am looking for some guidance on where to start with requirements for facilities that house hazardous (flammable and combustible) liquids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note this is an industrial client processing in other locations on the site. Is there a difference in process vs storage? What constitutes storage - time frame < 1 day, 30 days, 90 days...?

RE: Hazardous Material (Liquids in 55 gallon drums) Storage Warehouse?

Hire a Fire Protection Engineer, that deals in hazardous materials

You need an H occupancy designed building

The convex containers will not work outside

RE: Hazardous Material (Liquids in 55 gallon drums) Storage Warehouse?

There are companies that sell and lease containers designed specifically for this sort of storage. You should consult with your local AHJ to see if they are allowed in your jurisdiction before proceeding.

Consultation with a fire protection engineer is needed for both determining stand off distance to adjacent structures / property lines, and for correctly specifing the containers and figuring out the new IBC requirements for containing water used for fighting a hazardous material fire to the property.

These hazardous / flammable material containers are intended to be located out of doors.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close