Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Isolation requirement for piping and pipeline

Isolation requirement for piping and pipeline

Isolation requirement for piping and pipeline

In which Aramco standard or ASME standard, mentions the requirements of temporary or permanent Isolation of piping or pipelines like the requirement of Double Block and Bleed valves

RE: Isolation requirement for piping and pipeline

I don't know of any ASME standard that covers double block and bleed valve requirements. SAES-L-310 covers service to process line tie-in requirments.

RE: Isolation requirement for piping and pipeline

ncnpiping ...

Did you bother to read the Scope section in the beginning of ASME B31.1/B31.3 ? ..... There is something there that should help you

As I recall, there is a figure there that defines each piping code liitations and shows double block and bleed at boiler drains..

Sr. Process Engineer

RE: Isolation requirement for piping and pipeline

It will be an Aramco standard or philosophy which lays out the company requirement for isolation which usually varies by product classification and hazard potential and pressure or ASME B 16.5 pressure class ( Class 150,300,600 etc). ASME B 31.1 has some specific clauses about boiler drains and gas feed isolation, but otherwise is not prescriptive.

Be very careful how you call different isolations. Many people use Double block and bleed when they really mean Double ISOLATION and Bleed.

A DBB valve officially designation in API 6A is one valve which seals from both sides with the ability to vent or drain in between those two seats/seals . A double block and bleed valve SYSTEM is two valves with vent/ drain in between.

The UK HSE publish a very useful freely available document which guides you through the process of deciding what is required / to be determined for each case. Attached.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close