Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Confused by SS Specs and Grades

Confused by SS Specs and Grades

Confused by SS Specs and Grades

304 SS is the most common type of structural use SS. I believe 304 only refers to the chemical and mechanical properties, while other specs such as ASTM A240 (Plate, sheet), A276 bars and shapes, F593 Bolts, etc. But what exactly is the source document/organization for 304 or any other grade of SS? AISI? SAE? I can't find any specification on 304 that can be purchased. Thanks

All I know is P/A and Mc/I

RE: Confused by SS Specs and Grades

What spec system are you working in? ASTM?
304 is a historical common name that doesn't mean much.
The chemistry is defined by the UNS number, S30400 in this case.
This has nothing to do with mechanical properties.
Then you go to ASTM and select a spec for your product form.
This is where properties and testing specifics are listed.
In that spec it will refer to the general specs that cover broader areas.
And it will list testing (mechanical, destructive, and NDT) that apply to products.
You usually end up needing 4-8 specs to fully document a given product.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

RE: Confused by SS Specs and Grades

Some of our materials are per ASTM and some in SAE.
Some of our materials are custom like tabs or clips for which no ASTM or SAE spec seems to be applicable, so we're just calling them our as 304 SS.
From what I can tell the original grades such as '304' originated by a joint AISI / SAE effort.

All I know is P/A and Mc/I

RE: Confused by SS Specs and Grades

They are not 'just 304".
They are made from some form of raw material and that material has applicable specifications.
The SAE "J" specs usually take the place of ASTM product specs but refer back to ASTM general and RM specs.
You need a class in working with ASTM specifications.
These are the legal basis for the orders and part acceptance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close