Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Shell and tube heat exchanger name plate

Shell and tube heat exchanger name plate

Shell and tube heat exchanger name plate


plz, someone help me.

This is very simple question.

In the name plate of a shell and tube heat exchanger, tube side material on the name plate,
is it should be material of tubes or channel? Is there any TEMA or other code for that?

I am insisting that should be tube material. But my senior is saying it should be material of channel because tube side means
everywhere the cooling water run through.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RE: Shell and tube heat exchanger name plate

ASME VIII/1 is very precise:
"When the markings in accordance with UG-116(b)(1), UG-116(c), UG-116(e) and UG-116(f) are
different for each chamber, the chambers shall be abbreviated as:
(1) S for shell side
(2) T for tube side
This abbreviation shall follow the appropriate letter designation and shall be separated by a hyphen. For example, use:
(3) L‐T for lethal service tube side
(4) RT 1‐S for full radiography on the shell side

That being said, ASME rules on nameplates are a bit vague regarding the minimum RT information necessary displayed.
More information is always better, Many HX vendors include additional information required by the customer.
Unless there has been some recent change to the rules, I believe that these guidelines are applicable:


Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

RE: Shell and tube heat exchanger name plate

The U-1 form for the HX has a lot more information than the nameplate. Look at the U-1.

Good Luck,

RE: Shell and tube heat exchanger name plate

It's not required to list any materials on the nameplate of an ASME heat exchanger, but typically for heat exchangers there is no single "channel material". A heat exchanger channel might have a cylinder made from rolled plate material, flanges made from a forged material, nozzles made from pipe material, pass partition plates made from a non-pressure vessel quality plate material, bolting made from bolt material, etc.

It's not required by Code but I think some manufacturers do list the exchanger tube material on the nameplate.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close