Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Natural gas safety valve

Natural gas safety valve

Natural gas safety valve

We are going to install a new gas steam boiler.
The gas supplier cannot supply any information about the safeguards on their side.
We need to install the safety device upstream the steam boiler.

Is there certain design standard?
Can we just install a safety shut-off valve? Is that sufficient?

RE: Natural gas safety valve

I assume you mean gas fired steam boiler.

You would normally design to either ASME B 31.1 or B 31.3

You need to look at the design package as a whole so no one can answer your question, but you must include a reliable device to turn off your gas supply as part of your boiler control package.

BTW the response "The gas supplier cannot supply any information about the safeguards on their side." is unacceptable IMHO. I would be contacting the suppliers Health & Safety director to complain or report them to whatever regulator you have in your country. As it stands that is not an acceptable action.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Natural gas safety valve

Thanks for your reply :)

The response from gas supplier is not acceptable for sure. But it is very complicate situation in this country. The supplier who charges money is not resposible for the hardwares directly. I made a lot of calls and finally got a techinician who knew basically nothing. Still waiting for answers from their engineers hopelessly.

RE: Natural gas safety valve

Some questions:

I have been involved with the design, specification and purchase of packaged steam boilers for many years

First: What exactly do you mean by "We need to install the safety device upstream the steam boiler ? ... What do you mean by "the safety device"? ... do you mean on the fuel gas system, the steam systems, or on something ele ?

Second: Is this a brand new or used boiler ? .... What code of construction and what country will this be installed in ? .. What type of boiler ? Is it watertube, firetube, electric or what...???. If it is a used boiler, what kind of fuel system exists ? If it is a new boiler, does this mean you are buying a boiler without any kind of fuel control/fuel safety system ?

Third: Here in the West, we cannot purchase or operate a steam boiler without a specifically designed and certified combustion safety system. Virtully all of the large boilers in the US must have fuel safety systems that comply with NFPA-85/8501/8502



Fourth: Will this boiler operate in Pakistan ?

Sr. Process Engineer

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close