Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here




I have an opportunity to work as a sub-consultant. I want to register an official business with my state. I'm a licensed engineer but would not be stamping any of the work I would be doing. From what I'm reading, that means I can just register as a consulting firm as a limited liability company (LLC) and do not have to register as a professional limited liability company (PLLC) since I'm not stamping or certifying the engineering. Basically, I'd just be like any other non-professional consultant correct? Just looking to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Thanks in advance!


Probably depends on the state, but I think you'd still need to be a PLLC. You're a licensed professional offering professional services for which you are licensed. As such, many state boards would require you to seal your final product. Your client may then reproduce it under the terms of your contract and seal the drawing sheet it's on, but your submittal and/or review/backcheck would likely need to be accompanied by a sealed letter.

Probably best to run the question by both the board and an attorney. Will you be bringing on other licensed partners in the future? If so, a PLLC is probably best as it compartmentalizes professional liability.


Ah... why not just be an hourly employee for that company? I did that before to avoid all the insurance and liability. Basically relatively high hourly rate, but no guaranteed hours or benefits. I did that besides my regular job (my regular employer was OK with that)

If you have your own company, you need insurance, software, accounting and so on. And you should consult a lawyer to really shield your personals assets from liability. there likely is more to than just a PLLC. You working out of your home? So why is your home than personal asset and not part of the PLLC? I have no law knowledge, just playing devil's advocate here.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close