Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Pressure measuring in between two surfaces

Pressure measuring in between two surfaces

Pressure measuring in between two surfaces


There is a pressing machine and I need to measure the generated pressure between two pressing plates. As these plates are heated the instrument should be compatible with that also. Please suggest to me an industrial pressure measuring instrument to do this

Thank you

RE: Pressure measuring in between two surfaces

Take a look at SPI ( Sensor Products Inc.) out of New Jersey.
They have a film that you may be able to use.

RE: Pressure measuring in between two surfaces

You are misguided in thinking that you want to measure pressure. The only thing you can reliably measure is the force that the clamping mechanism applies. Some type of spring scale would work, or you can realize that the frame of the press is, in fact, a spring that deflects under load. So a dial indicator can be set-up in a way that measures this deflection, which can be calibrated to read the force.

Actual pressure is a distribution across the surface and depends on what is between the plates, and it's uniformity in thickness and hardness.

RE: Pressure measuring in between two surfaces

Re: David's suggestion. @Composite: that's what the film would do (indicate the distribution).

At a previous job we used pressure sensitive film (Fujifilm) to measure contact pressure for knee prosthesis as that is a very significant contribution to polyethylene wear. I was not involved so that's literally the limit of my exposure (heh) to that application. However, if the 'instrument' needs to withstand elevated temperatures I do know if that is the right product for the application(if this website is any indication).

RE: Pressure measuring in between two surfaces

Strain gages.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close