Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

100 year flood plain development

100 year flood plain development

100 year flood plain development

I have a piece of property that I wanted to build a gravel parking lot for some of my vehicles. The property is located in a 100 year floodplain, about 4' below county recognized floodplain. The property was filled prior to my purchase (about 2' above floodplain) but the county won't recognize the new elevation. What can I do if anything about it? Would I need a new flood study? I'm thinking of doing a 4000 sf parking lot Or should I just park my cars there anyways. LOL

RE: 100 year flood plain development

I suspect they'll have more consternation with the previous fill than the request for a parking area. Regardless, it sounds like it could be permissible provided all of the vehicles are operable. I like to use our DNR's quick guide as a first pass review and then drill down deeper if needed, https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/WaterResources/Docum.... I'm seeing parked cars falling under the RV section, but understand that local jurisdictions can be more restrictive.

RE: 100 year flood plain development

Can't you apply for Floodplain Elevation Certification to remove the property from the current effective floodplain? I suggest you check out FEMA's website for guidance then go to your county to discuss. If you have never done this, I recommend hiring a hydrologist or civil engineer with experience processing ELCERTS/CLOMR/LOMRs



RE: 100 year flood plain development

If the locals will not accept an elevation certificate you could request a LOMA or LOMAR from Fema. That will require the services of a hydrology/hydraulics based professional engineering firm. Gammma Engineering is a such a service in Annapolis, Md. 21401 410.626.1070

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close