Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values

Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values

Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values


I am working with an engineer who recommended to perform SCP tests in the top 10 feet. I know there is a correlation of dividing the reading (qc) in kg/cm2 by 4 and that is the approximate N-value.

Does anyone know if there is a published reference that provides this information?, i just would like to know any official reference with this information.


RE: Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values


Probably I was not clear. I was referring to the Manual Cone penetrometer test, also known as, Portable or hand cone penetrometer test.

I am not a fan of it, however one engineer suggested to use it.

Please let me know,

RE: Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values

Do you mean a pocket penetrometer (PP) test? Or a fall cone? I don't recognise your terminology.

RE: Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values

There are many dynamic cone test "standards" - there is the Pentest (Canadian Practice), the TRRL cone test, the Mackintosh Probe, etc. This is why for DCPTs, one needs to specify cone angle, hammer weight, hammer drop, etc. so that others know exactly what cone test to which you are referring.

RE: Static Cone Penetrometer Correlations to N-Values

Your talking about qc, which is tip resistance for a Cone Penetration Test (CPT). Below is a correlation based on Ic (soil behavior type). There are some rules of thumb like qc divided by ,2,3,4,5 etc. But its better to base it on material type.

Dont call it a penetrometer test as makes people think of a Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP), or Mckintosh Proble, or TRL probe or Scala penetrometer, which has many names.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


White Paper - PLM and ERP: Their Respective Roles in Modern Manufacturing
Leading manufacturers are aligning their people, processes, and tools from initial product ideation through to field service. They do so by providing access to product and enterprise data in the context of each person’s domain expertise. However, it can be complicated and costly to unite engineering with the factory and supply chain. Download Now
White Paper - Medical Device Design Control
Medical device product development is a highly integrated and regulated process. Implementation of a requirements tracking solution requires attention to a variety of nuanced topics. When presented with the task of tracking the many concept relationships in a project of this type, the initial software solution of choice tends to be a two-dimensional text systems. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close