Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

civil eng license

civil eng license

civil eng license

I have been an Aerospace Engineer specialize in aero structures for 7 years, now if I go back to school to earn a Bachelor in Civil Engineering, will I be able to legally pull permit from city? I live in Wichita, Kansas. I talked to an operator from my county and she said I need an engineering stamp on my permit form. Does anyone know what she talks about? She also had no idea how to obtain that stamp too.

RE: civil eng license

You need to have professional engineer sign off and stamp your plans. A degree is not enough; you need the license, which typically requires a several years of essentially apprenticeship before you sit for an exam which you must pass to get the license.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies forum1529: Translation Assistance for Engineers Entire Forum list http://www.eng-tips.com/forumlist.cfm

RE: civil eng license

I don't know how aerospace engineers get a licence but to be a civil engineer in North America you need to get a state or provincial license from the state or province you want to work in, you can also get licensed in multiple states but the annual fees would increase.

Kansas engineering association

RE: civil eng license


I get looks all of the time as a Metallurgist with a P.E. Not many of us.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

RE: civil eng license

Contact the Kansas board that regulates PE licenses. They will spell out exactly what you need.

RE: civil eng license

Usually licensing through exam after 4 years graduation from an accredit college/university, and registered as EIT (engineer in training). You can take the EIT exam at the last year of college.

RE: civil eng license

Just be warned - if you make the switch you'll be in for a culture shock. Going from highly detailed analysis and design with advanced materials with rationally low safety factors and extensive prototyping and testing to a world where "we've been doing it that way for decades" is a common refrain, the use of roughly appropriate "typical" details is a frequent practice, and the safety factors are huge can be tough. I've known of a couple guys who tried and couldn't make it - they tried to design down to the shear in the bolt threads and blew the budget on every project they touched.

RE: civil eng license

VH88...you are in Kansas and will have to follow the requirements of your state board of engineers. Call the board and ask them for their particular requirements.

RE: civil eng license

An engineering stamp is provided by a professional engineer or architect.

The easiest path to a professional license would be to obtain a masters degree in civil engineering rather than a BS since you already have an engineering degree.

A masters degree will allow you to apply for a license.

The commercial airplane business has extremely rigorous control over airplane structures and systems from fabrication and assembly through inspection and maintenance. The environmental effects and maximum loads airplanes experience are also well understood. Extensive fatigue and static testing is conducted on components and systems. Therefore, relatively low factors of safety are applied (around 1.3) even though safety is at stake.

The lack of rigorous control over the means and methods used in building construction is the reason for a higher safety factor, not the knowledge or work of civil engineering design professionals.

RE: civil eng license

If your undergraduate degree is obtained from college/university in the US, the above path works. But for foreign BS degree, even you have obtain PH.D, some state will tell you to wait a longer period. Check state professional registration and licensing board for specific requirement.

RE: civil eng license

bimr - not sure if you took offense to what I said there, but I certainly never meant to imply that we (as I am a civil/structural engineering design professional) don't know what we're doing. As I said - aircraft design goes through "extensive prototyping and testing" - so it sounds like we agree on the reason for what I called "rationally low safety factors". You did do a better job explaining the higher safety factors in construction than I did, and I can see how my description of the mentality and practices of many in the construction industry could have been mistaken for a reason for higher factors of safety in our realm.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close