Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

High Temperature Consistency Measurement

High Temperature Consistency Measurement

High Temperature Consistency Measurement

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance for your time in reading this. First time poster to this group. As a forewarning, I've spent more time on the Power T&D group, so please show mercy :)

I'm supporting a process upgrade that requires consistency measurement of hot water with some residual pulp (water side outlet of a steam scrubber). The fluid is quite hot with two options for measurement location either at 139C or 167C. The plan up to now had been to install an optical unit.

I'm finding that none of the major vendors surveyed so far offer consistency measurement for process fluid temperatures above 120C. (Valmet, BTG; awaiting responses from Voith and ABB). In general, Microwave seems to be even more limited, generally at 100C.

Has any one on this forum dealt with this limitation before, either having found a suitably rated product, or went into the engineering enough to challenge/accept the risk to the optical (or other) interface? Finally, I haven't yet looked into inferring consistency via mass-flow or other, that's the next step but any input is highly welcome!

Thanks much,

RE: High Temperature Consistency Measurement

In this case does consistency mean viscosity?

RE: High Temperature Consistency Measurement

There are all sorts measurements but you have to be specific.

RE: High Temperature Consistency Measurement

The temperatures you cite should not be considered as high temperature for most process measurement instrumentation. I don't know of a typical engineering unit for 'consistency'. I assume, like Compositepro suggests, that you are interested in viscosity, or perhaps % solids or maybe other parameter for measurement. There are a number of ways to measure either.

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

RE: High Temperature Consistency Measurement

Thanks For The Feedback!

Consistency means oven dry weight of pulp. We may just do manual sampling given the difficulties. Microwave is an option, but depends on conductivity and entrapped air, still following that up. Radiometry can't sense below 2% consistency, and optical might work but would require a cooled bypass line that might be subject to plugging, and of course added cost.

Thanks and have a great day!


RE: High Temperature Consistency Measurement

% solids can be measured very accurately by density using a number of techniques, like vibrating tubes. Air can be eliminated by doing the measurement under pressure or by vacuum degassing before measurement.

RE: High Temperature Consistency Measurement

Thanks Compositepro!

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close