Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

thread784-298513 Professional en

thread784-298513 Professional en

thread784-298513 Professional en

thread784-298513: Registered or Licensed?

Professional engineers hold a license. You register to join eng-tips.com, or for a raffle drawing, but you don't register to be an engineer. You attain a licensed, so the proper designation is "Licensed Professional Engineer". This was explained by my professor in college. Some states are using the term incorrectly by calling it "Registered". That's probably because a few people sat around a conference table and agreed to call it that! Others may have followed suite by copying it, but that doesn't mean it's correct.

RE: thread784-298513 Professional en

Yes, I'm coaching a fresh generation of engineers and see they have "Registered Engineer" on their signature block, so I searched and saw this old thread. Hope you have a great day!

RE: thread784-298513 Professional en

This site is international, so what you've written is only for specific localities. Moreover, it seems to me if the government calls you "registered engineer," then you're a "registered engineer."

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies forum1529: Translation Assistance for Engineers Entire Forum list http://www.eng-tips.com/forumlist.cfm

RE: thread784-298513 Professional en

IRstuff is correct. Where I am, the full title is "Registered Professional Engineer Queensland", RPEQ. In other places, "Chartered Engineer" or lots of other titles are used, and not always for the same thing.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close