Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Washer to fill a countersink?

Washer to fill a countersink?

Washer to fill a countersink?

I have a bracket that currently fastens using a pair of 3/8-16 flat head socket cap screws with what is presumed to be the standard 82 degree taper, so the bolt holes on the bracket are countersunk. I need to mount a spacer to the face of the upper bolt hole, and need a flush/flat surface to do so. Is there a name or standard for a conical washer that is used to fill a countersink (green portion of very rough attached sketch)? I would prefer to find an off the shelf solution before having to machine one, and have only been able to locate finishing washers, spherical washers (such as those for rod end misalignment), or washers that are countersunk on top rather than flush. Any help would be much appreciated!

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Taper the end of your spacer in a lathe to match the countersink.

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

I'm hoping to avoid having to machine the spacer. A nicely machined spacer is provided with the part that affixes to it, and would be too short if I had to turn a taper on it.

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Contact your fastener supplier and ask them (if you don't have one already, Fastenal is probably as good a place to start as any). If they're halfway competent and such a thing exists, they should be able to help you out pretty quickly.

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Quantity = 1 ?

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

I second the compositepro answer; turn a spacer to match the countersink.
There is so little typical use for such a thing that I cannot imagine anyone putting it in a catalog.

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Well comes to that, it wouldn't appear to be a big deal to just turn one.

Edit: Or kind of expensive but, model it and have it printed.



The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

If you only need a few, it should be a simple enough matter to get a few flat head bolts of the right size, and drill through the heads.

Rod Smith, P.E.

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Various ways to get there. The "best" depends on how many you need, what you have to work with.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

JB weld

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Quote (1gibson)

JB weld
AKA "Liquid Shim". Another option. Maybe not my first choice, but it'd work :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Why not braze the hole full, or some such, then drill it open again to the right dia. Why not drill it open to a slightly larger dia. and use a larger screw for your new fixings. The only issue should be that you provide some bearing area (bearing dia.) for the screw near the faying surface, then use a slightly heavier (thicker) washer to bridge any remaining countersink space. That bracket certainly can’t be carrying much in the way of loading.

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Do you need a seal? If not, don't worry about it. If you do, then put a neoprene or rubber washer the thickness equal to the depth of the countersink and crank it down. It will mold to seal.

You could also drill out the countersink taper to create a flat land for the socket screw.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

RE: Washer to fill a countersink?

Tmoose - QTY <=2

As I gather this is not a standard/known product, I will either drill out and bush the hole, or just do as HotRod suggested and drill through a screw head to make a spacer.

Thanks all for the replies.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close