Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Do I need personal liability insurance?

Do I need personal liability insurance?

Do I need personal liability insurance?

I'm an engineer for a very small structural residential engineering firm. The owner of the company is planning on retiring and closing the company in a year or so. I'm wondering what happens liability wise once the company is closed? Will he need to carry insurance after shutting down the company? Do I need to get personal liability insurance to protect myself? I'm in Alberta Canada.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RE: Do I need personal liability insurance?

In the states, we need to carry the insurance for a time after the company is closed - around 6 to 7 years I believe last time I checked, which was not recently.

Might want to check with a provider in your area dealing in errors and omissions insurance.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA, HI)

RE: Do I need personal liability insurance?

Typically when you close a firm you get tailing insurance for some number of years depending on the statute repose laws in your state. But if you didn't stamp anything, and it was the firms name on the drawings, your risk should be very low.

RE: Do I need personal liability insurance?

No I am stamping for the firm.

RE: Do I need personal liability insurance?

The current insurance is bought by the company.

RE: Do I need personal liability insurance?

One of the forensics guys said on another thread that he has seen projects go to court where the firm was out of business and the individuals were not pursued.

If you were to get your own insurance I think its in the range of $3k/yr

RE: Do I need personal liability insurance?

Get the company to buy tail coverage. Keep your personal stuff out of it but make sure the company indemnifies you for liability. Some states allow the engineer to be sued separately from the company. For that, you need personal coverage.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close