Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


PE licence

PE licence

PE licence

What formal qualifications are needed to be a piping stress engineer in US?
I'm from Europe and there are no restrictions here, everybody can be a proffesional engineer
(of course, the market verifies the real ones with knowledge and experience).

I'm planning to founded a small design office and try to cooperate with larger companies. Do I need a licence for that kind of work?

RE: PE licence

It varies by state, but generally the requirements are a BS or Engineering Technology degree, relevant experience in the field of license, and passing the PE exam. Not sure what you mean by saying everybody can be a professional engineer; surely there's a license/certification for qualified personnel to stamp/approve designs?

I (being in the states) would not hire a pipe stress company if no one was a PE. I'm paying for an engineering assessment/report; if they're just going to toss the model reports at me they don't offer much value.

RE: PE licence

"Not sure what you mean by saying everybody can be a professional engineer; surely there's a license/certification for qualified personnel to stamp/approve designs?"

The profession of mechanical engineer is completely open,
there are no licenses, permissions, certifications etc.

RE: PE licence

That's really surprising considering how anal Europe is about most things

RE: PE licence

Generally, if you're going to act as a consulting engineer, you'll need a PE license in the state(s) where the projects are to be built (not necessarily where your home or office are). Many states also require a PE license for your business as well. The individual PE license may require you to take tests and document your education, etc, but you just need that in the first state you're registered in. The corporate licenses are usually just a matter of filling out forms and paying money.

Many states have industrial exemptions, where if a business is doing engineering for its own facilities, the engineers involved don't need to be registered, and that probably applies to a fair percentage in this field- that would apply to people working for refineries, etc. For people working under the supervision of a PE, the work can be sealed by that PE.

All of the engineering licensing varies from state to state, so pick the state of most interest and start looking into the requirements there, which can generally be found online.

You may run into a chicken-vs-egg situation trying to establish residence and get visas to work and trying to get work going to establish a residence.

RE: PE licence

"Not sure what you mean by saying everybody can be a professional engineer; surely there's a license/certification for qualified personnel to stamp/approve designs?"

In Spain, and in industrial engineering at the very least, you must be a member of an engineering professional society and have finished a master's degree in industrial engineering to be able to stamp designs.

Also, there are some initiatives to bring PEs to Europe: https://www.aqpe.org/?lang=en

RE: PE licence

Thank you.
Do you think there is a chance to start business before visit the US?
Finding a company willing to cooperate remotely isn't easy, but it can be a good deal for them, engineering calculations can be performed remotely without loss of quality.

RE: PE licence

I'm not as familiar with the business side, but I believe in order to apply for the business PE license you need at least one person with a PE to be a part owner or maybe in a position of management. Not sure what the rules are; check the most applicable state you're looking at it.

I think you'd have a hard time setting up a business in your desired state with no PE and no presence in the area.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


eBook - Rethink Your PLM
A lot has changed since the 90s. You don't surf the Web using dial-up anymore, so why are you still using a legacy PLM solution that's blocking your ability to innovate? To develop and launch products today, you need a flexible, cloud-based PLM, not a solution that's stuck in the past. Download Now
White Paper - Using Virtualization for IVI and AUTOSAR Consolidation on an ECU
Current approaches used to tackle the complexities of a vehicle’s electrical and electronics (E/E) architecture are both cost prohibitive and lacking in performance. Utilizing virtualization in automotive software architecture provides a better approach. This can be achieved by encapsulating different heterogeneous automotive platforms inside virtual machines running on the same hardware. Download Now
White Paper - The Criticality of the E/E Architecture
Modern vehicles are highly sophisticated systems incorporating electrical, electronic, software and mechanical components. Mechanical systems are giving way to advanced software and electronic devices, driving automakers to innovate and differentiate their vehicles via the electric and electronic (E/E) architecture. As the pace of change accelerates, automotive companies need to evolve their development processes to deliver and maximize the value of these architectures. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close