Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Freelance Civil Engineer Questions

Freelance Civil Engineer Questions

Freelance Civil Engineer Questions

I've been doing freelance work for a few months now and a new opportunity has popped up to be a long term 1099 contractor. My question is really focused on P.E. license and a COA. I'm registered in D.C. as a licensed P.E. but I get confused when they mention a "COA" or Certification of Authorization. Do I need a COA in addition to my P.E. license when offering engineering services? I've email the local board but haven't heard back yet, just wanted input from anyone else who may be confused. Also, should I obtain professional liability insurance? If so, how much coverage should I get? I've only done around $2k of work so far, but this new opportunity will be greater amount.

RE: Freelance Civil Engineer Questions

Each state in the US has their own laws concerning an entity doing business in their state.
We have both individual engineering licenses (to practice engineering) as well as firm certificates of authorization (to do business in the state).
The first is via the engineering board. The second is usually, but not always, via the secretary of state office.

So yes, you have to get both in most states. There's times in my state board newsletters in many states where firms were fined for not getting their certificate.

Now as an individual (sole proprietorship) you may not need it but you should ask.

Insurance? Depends on your sense of risk, tolerance of risk, and other mechanisms to protect your personal properties, but yes, usually a good idea and many clients require it.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

RE: Freelance Civil Engineer Questions

Agree with JAE. In my state, an individual practicing under his name does not need a CoA. If you practice under any of the various entities, such as an LLC, INC, PA, LLP, etc., a CoA is required. As JAE says, check with the jurisdictional board.

RE: Freelance Civil Engineer Questions

As to liability insurance,check with ASCE and see if they have any scoop on how various branches of the work have trouble getting insurance,etc. It used to be my branch (geotch) had many claims,but with various assistance from ASCE committees on how the way jobs are taken and the hold harmless clauses, etc. has helped make for less suits. Even with what might be thought of as well written contacts, attorneys will find ways to get around them. When I was practicing I moved most of my assets to my wife and did other steps to minimize of at least making claims of my assets difficult. Did have insurance and had one major claim (not my fault) and had no attachment to my assets. My contracts all had a section specifically saying no clams against my wife. Remember that every possible source of funds on the job means every one gets sued, even if they had nothing to do with it. "Deep pockets".

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


eBook - Manufacturing the Cars of Tomorrow
In this ebook, we'll explore how additive manufacturing is going to transform the way cars are made. This includes commentary from thought leaders such as Ford's CTO, Ken Washington, Customer case studies of ways 3D printing is being used today, and a variety of part examples where 3D printing is already impacting how automobiles are made. Download Now
White Paper - Smart Manufacturing for Semiconductor
New technologies and approaches present great opportunities for semiconductor manufacturers to achieve high levels of innovation, yield and improvement. This white paper explores some of these cutting-edge technologies and how they can be applied effectively in the semiconductor industry. Read about how Smart Manufacturing is transforming the semiconductor industry. Download Now
White Paper - Analysis and Simulation in Aircraft Structure Certification
Organizations using simulation and analysis tools effectively see the benefits in their ability to achieve certification faster and with drastically less total cost than those who do not maximize these tools. Read this White Paper to learn about how digital tools such as analysis and simulation help in aircraft structure certification. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close