Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

4-wire transmitter with 120Vac?

4-wire transmitter with 120Vac?

4-wire transmitter with 120Vac?

Hi Gents,

I need to spec out a 4-20mA instrument that would come with a local 120VAC power supply. I'm measuring hydrostatic pressure at a remote site and need to bring 4-20mA signal back into the plant. No 24 Vdc available but 120VAC is available. Any recommendations for a brand?

Your typical GE Drucks and such all seem to be loop powered


RE: 4-wire transmitter with 120Vac?

How 'remote' is this transmitter? Is there the option to run two-wire loop-powered, or provide 24V power via a spare pair? Can you provide a small PSU 120V/24V locally and use a standard transmitter?

I'm sure you've considered these possibilities, but you haven't explained why they won't work.

RE: 4-wire transmitter with 120Vac?

Not understanding..? This is what loop powered devices are for. Power it from the place that wants the data over the 4-20mA line. That's why it's 4mA not 0-20mA.

Keith Cress
kcress - http://www.flaminsystems.com

RE: 4-wire transmitter with 120Vac?

Different options to consider. Sometimes equipment does not come with its own power supply and you have to purchase one separately. Another thing to consider, is if the equipment takes 24 VDC but you only have 120 VAC at the site, you can buy a power supply that takes 120 VAC and outputs 24 VDC. Another option, is having a small enclosure or junction box located remotely where you take care of the power supplies and most of the wiring. Then just run a cable/wire bundle from the junction box to your equipment.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close