Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

chemical composition

chemical composition

chemical composition


I'm looking to select the correct material for some pipes and fittings. The liquid that will be pumped through these pipes and fittings is unknown in terms of what its made of chemically.

Where can I get this liquid tested to determine its chemical make up? or is there a way for an M.E. to figure it out without an extensive background in chemistry.

Thank you

RE: chemical composition

Litmus paper to test the PH. A small sample, as long as it is not water miscible,mixed in a small glass with water jar to determine if it is heavier or light than water for an indication of specific gravity; odor test to determine if it is odorless; color determination by visual; I would not do the taste and feel test; boiling and freezing temperatures with appropriate thermometers; flammability of a small sample by lighting with a fire starte such as those used on domestic propane gas grill; volatility by exposure to air; residues left from the volatility test are they explosive upon contact (be cautious though); vicoscity by visual is it free flowing as water or "thick" flowing as ketchup.

RE: chemical composition

What do you know about the liquid? No one can help you with no information given.

RE: chemical composition

The correct material is unobtainium.

Good luck,

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

RE: chemical composition

Selecting the correct piping material for a particular chemical should involve the responsible chemical engineer for the project.

This is not a choice that an MBA can just dump on the mechanical engineering staff..

You will also need the max operating temperature and MAWP (maximum allowable working pressure) to determine the correct pipe wall thickness, flange rating, insulation thicknesses etc ....

Sr. Process Engineer

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close