Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Professional Engineer (P.E.)

Professional Engineer (P.E.)

Professional Engineer (P.E.)


I am mechanical engineer and planning for passing FE and PE exams in 2019. However, I am not sure whether I need to prove experience of working under Professional Engineer for 4 years or not.

I am not resident of USA. However, there is a testing in American University of Sharjah, UAE and which is close to my home.

Any advise or clarification will be highly appreciated.

RE: Professional Engineer (P.E.)

It varies by the state you're applying to be licensed in. For example Virginia requires 4 years of experience before you can even sit for the exam while California may allow you to take the exam early and acquire the license after 4 years of experience. If you're in the UAE I'm not sure how the PE license works. Is there not a separate professional engineering entity in UAE?

RE: Professional Engineer (P.E.)

Per the links above, you need to submit an application to AUS for the FE and be approved by February 15th to take the FE this April. Then once you learn you've passed (typically 6 weeks in the states), you submit another application to AUS for the PE and must be approved by August 15th for the October exam.

Still not sure how licensing would work in the UAE but the exam qualifications seem clear.

RE: Professional Engineer (P.E.)

The American PE systems are set up state-by-state, and they generally assume that you live in the state in which you are first licensed. If that is not the case, you'd need to figure out which state you're applying for licensure in, and check their state rules and laws, including any residency requirements.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


White Paper - Reliability Verification for AI and ML Processors
Artificial intelligence and machine learning are seeing growing adoption in a wide range of applications. ICs used for AI/ML applications are characterized by large parallel processing computation units, high power dissipation, and complex circuitry that can deliver maximum performance within a strict power budget. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close