Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Tax Implications of Consulting Work In The European Union

Tax Implications of Consulting Work In The European Union

Tax Implications of Consulting Work In The European Union

For those of us based in the United States, have any of you performed consulting work for any countries in the EU? If you have, what were the tax implications? If, for example, you traveled to the UK to perform this work, do you owe any taxes to Great Britain at the end of the year? And how does this income impact the taxes you pay in the United States? I would like to hear from those of you who have actually gone through this experience in your own consulting business. Thanks.


RE: Tax Implications of Consulting Work In The European Union

I never established residency in the EU so my experience may be different from what you are looking for. I lived in hotels and was able to get a refund on the VAT that I paid on my hotel bills, no income tax in the UK, filed the whole amount I was paid (including expense reimbursements, they come off the expenses so that is a wash) as income to the company. Neither the U.S. or U.K. governments had a problem with that that I've been able to determine. A longer stay or a work visa could easily change those dynamics.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

RE: Tax Implications of Consulting Work In The European Union

If you work in the UK you will owe taxes there , however the tax free allowance is 9000 pounds . If you are there more than 6 months you will be considered resident in the UK for tax purposes. If you are resident in the USA then there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK where you can swear off taxes paid there.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


eBook - Simulation-Driven Design with SOLIDWORKS
Simulation-driven design can reduce the time and cost of product development. In this engineering.com eBook, we’ll explore how SOLIDWORKS users can access simulation-driven design through the SOLIDWORKS Simulation suite of analysis tools. Download Now
eBook - Integrating the Engineering Ecosystem
Aras Innovator provides multiple options for integrating data between systems, depending on the scenario. Utilizing the right approach to meet specific business requirements is vital. These needs range from authoring tools, federating data from various and dissimilar databases, and triggering processes and workflows. Download Now
Research Report - Simulation-Driven Design for SOLIDWORKS Users
In this engineering.com research report, we discuss the rising role of simulation and the paradigm shift commonly called the democratization of simulation. In particular, we focus on how SOLIDWORKS users can take advantage of simulation-driven design through two analysis tools: SOLIDWORKS Simulation and 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close