Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

What should I do

What should I do

What should I do

I am a licensed professional engineer with Ontario Canada and michigan USA, I passed necessary structural engineer exam. I live and work in Canada and am preparing ncees record. I was asked to provide five licensed professional engineer in USA. I do not know so many people with USA PE license. What should I do?

RE: What should I do

I'd try Canadian licensed engineers (Charter Engineers is the term I think) and see if that works. These are being forwarded to the states that you're trying to get licensed in, so if they (the states)accept them, you're good. Of course, NCEES considers themselves a gatekeeper of all that is good and holy, so they might turn you down.

RE: What should I do

Some states have programs where engineers volunteer to provide references for others after reviewing some of their work. You may be able to do this formally, or certainly informally. Ask around in the Michigan chapter of ASCE. If I wasn't on the other side of the world where mail gets tricky, I'd offer that (although some states ask about ethics and personal reputation. Not sure how that gets handled.)

Without 5 US PEs, it's possible you may not be able to obtain an NCEES record. NCEES is not a true governmental organization, so they're not obligated to provide you reasonable access to their product.

The name is a long story -- just call me Lo.

RE: What should I do

Thank you both for the reply.

RE: What should I do

Don't apply for an NCEES record until you meet 5 engineers. You can do this by joining a young professionals group etc. or just rubbing shoulders with
people on jobs.

Also keep in mind that NCEES will require that you renew your record every now and then...which also requires knowing engineers. I have a buddy who has a record
so we both help each other out when renewal time comes.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


eBook - The Future of Product Development is Here
Looking to make the design and manufacturing of your products more agile? For engineering and manufacturing organizations, the need for digital transformation of product development processes just became more urgent than ever so we wanted to share an eBook that will help you build a practical roadmap for your journey. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close