Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Heat Transfer Surface Question

Heat Transfer Surface Question

Heat Transfer Surface Question

Hello all,

I am curious what professionals in the industry call these types of heat transfer surfaces.

What do you call heat transfer surface type A - stamped sheet hand welded to a surface

What do you call heat transfer surface type B - laser or resistance welded and inflated with high pressure air

RE: Heat Transfer Surface Question

I would call both "dimple jackets" or "dimple plates". They are just made in different ways. "B" is hydroformed.

RE: Heat Transfer Surface Question

"We call it a cute jacket because of its dimples" ~ a former colleague's jokes regarding the subject. I concur with Compositepro.

RE: Heat Transfer Surface Question

3rd. Gotta remember that joke though jari, thanks!

RE: Heat Transfer Surface Question

Thank you so much for your input.

I am curious how do you differentiate the two in conversation?

RE: Heat Transfer Surface Question

Stamped versus hydroformed.

RE: Heat Transfer Surface Question

Granted, most cute jackets are dimpled, but what if it's sort of an ugly jacket with out-ward pocks and bends and visible blemishes?

Is that a convex's jacket with complex issues?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


White Paper: Industrial Control Basics: Contactors
A contactor is an electrical device used for switching an electrical circuit on or off. Considered to be a special type of relay, contactors are used in applications with higher current carrying capacity, while relays are used for lower current applications. Download Now
Research Report: State of IoT Adoption in Product Development 2019
This research report, based on a survey of 234 product development professionals, examines the current state of Internet of Things (IoT) adoption by product design teams, its perceived importance, and what features and capabilities teams consider important when making decision about adding IoT functionality to their products. Download Now
Research Report: Augmented Reality for Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)
The term Industry 4.0 denotes a cluster of technologies that’s poised to fundamentally reshape manufacturing and bring about a new industrial revolution. These include 3D printing (AM), the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), artificial intelligence (AI) and mixed reality technologies, more commonly known as virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close