Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Substation structural engineering in California

Substation structural engineering in California

Substation structural engineering in California

I am new to the California Civil/Structural requirements in regards to substation structures and was hoping someone in that region could shed some light on where the line is drawn for a SE stamp verses a PE stamp. I am a PE - civil structural in PA, NJ, Delaware, NY, DC and Maryland. My company is looking to obtain substation work in California, we are a substation engineering firm. The building design authority (BDA) specifically delineates the Civil engineer vs structural engineer in terms of the type of building ie; schools and hospitals are an SE other buildings of any other type can be sealed by a PE. I called the BDA and they refereed me to the Professional Engineer ACT section 6731 where it essentially states that foundations, homogeneous structures, buildings and bridges may all be designed under a P.E.

I feel like it is more complicated than that but I don't see it. Am I missing something? Are there additional tests that I will need to take to get the PE in California? Is the PE enough for these types of structures?

Thank you ahead of time for any insight that you provide.

RE: Substation structural engineering in California

That is correct. An SE license is required in California for public schools and hospitals only (Link). These structures are regulated by DSA and OSHPD, respectively, rather than the local jurisdiction. In addition to the NCEES exam, you will need to pass the California Seismic Principals and California Engineering Surveying exams to obtain a Civil PE license. Application and exam information can be found here: Link.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close