Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Anyone with experience in the design of Leak sealing Devices, specifically Bolted clamps.

Bolted clamps
1.-) I want to know the standard that provies me the formulas to calculate the thickness of the body of this device, the bolt sizes and the minimum thickness of the bolted zone

- There are any service/pressure limitations (based on standards) on the use of these devices?

- How to calculate the minimum axial thrust loads and The effect of enclosing(crushing) forces on the pipe?

Thanks in advance.


RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

There is no cookie cut equation to design a split sleeve repair clamp. It needs both a pressure design and structural design for a clamp. The manual calculation can be very complex. The best place to order a clamp could be the companies like Furmanite, hydratight etc who can design the appropriate clamp for you. In places where you don't have an inhouse engineering standard in place, it is considered a catalogue item from Third Party.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng

RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Honestly, long term view, repair/replace the broken leaky section. It will only come back to haunt you otherwise.

Stopping the leak doesn't necessarily, stop the cause of the leak..

RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

A pity lebpower hasn't bothered responding further, but in practice you can't use a metal to metal clamp like that to seal a leak. You don't have enough sealing force.

There are a couple of clamps which include a jack screw to force it's way into a small pin hole leak, but otherwise you need sealing rubbers.

Like this http://www.luse.com/split-sleeve-pds/


Plidco make a lot of leak sealing sleeves as do TDW.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Hello all...

I'm new to this forum... so if I violate any rules, please call me out...

I am not aware of what formulas Furmanite, the forefather of on-line leak sealing, use to calculate all their leak sealing clamp components. Maybe they are doing FEA.

In my experience, I have encountered leak sealing clamp design calculations using ASME BPVC. Vessel shell thickness to decide the clamp shell thickness, formula for Flat Unstayed Heads to decide the endplate thickness (the head of the clamp where the bore shall be the leaking pipe's actual outside diameter), Flange Formula to decide the thickness of the lugs (the plates where the bolt shall be arranged to hold both sides), and Flange Bolt Root Area Calculation (to decide the size of bolts).

Are these formulas applicable for designing these "pressure vessels"?

Appreciate all the help!

These leak sealing clamps, designed using the above formulas, have all been successful in arresting the leak. Steam leaks above 100kgs/cm2g design pressure and temperatures above 500°C.

RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

the crazy moon.

You should really start your own post and not "hijack" someone elses one. You can refer to another post be starting " in this post .... it says xyz. How about abc?"

But yes I think furmanite use BPV designs for the shells and some FEA design for their custom made devices. They tend to make bolted half shells which then seal on the pipe OD.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Crazymoon, I don't recall the particular leak sealing/clamp vendor but Roark's is also used. It's referenced for endplates similar to what you mentioned due to specific geometries that aren't specifically covered in ASME codes. There's another major reference although I don't recall its name. I may be able to check next week.

Although I agree on starting a new post to get responses tailored to your question. If Lebpower returns then I'm sure he can get more feedback.


RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Dears LittleInch and Ehzin,


Thank you for your replies and I'm sorry if I did "hijack" leb's post. Just wanted to try to make him "engage" in the thread once again. Thank you again kind sirs...

All the best!

RE: Design of Nonwelding Leak sealing Devices

Some guidance in ISO 24817 para Clamps and other repair systems Maybe that helps.



Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close