Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Re: Civil PE stamp

Re: Civil PE stamp

Re: Civil PE stamp

I recently passed the Civil PE exam in Massachusetts, taking the structural afternoon exam. Question is, when ordering my PE stamp, may I list "Civil-structural" as the discipline on my stamp, or am I just restricted to listing "Civil" as my discipline? The MA board guidelines for the PE stamp do not state explicitly that one cannot list "Civil-structural" as the discipline. Just curious if anyone has some insight on this.

RE: Re: Civil PE stamp

Unless an MA PE or SE with some specific language can answer that here - your best bet is to contact the MA board and simply ask them.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

RE: Re: Civil PE stamp

The Board currently licenses in the following disciplines: Aeronautical, Agricultural, Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Control Systems, Electrical, Environmental, Fire Protection, Heating & Ventilation, Industrial, Land Surveyor, Mechanical, Metallurgical, Mining and Mineral, Naval Architecture, Nuclear, Petroleum, Safety, Sanitary, Structural. There is a Massachusetts PE Civil Exam and Structural Exams

(a) A Registrant shall practice only in areas of competence for which the Registrant is qualified by education and experience.

Pursuant to 250 CMR 5.03, the identification of one’s licensed branch within their professional seal is optional.

Obtaining two stamps, civil and structural is probably the way to go. Most of the projects will probably one or the other, not both.

RE: Re: Civil PE stamp

Since the branch is optional, you don't need to list it on your stamp. The only things the seal must have are the following:
"Commonwealth of Massachusetts"
the Registrant's name
the Registrant's registration number, and
the words "Professional Engineer"

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close