Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Flooded Bldg.

Flooded Bldg.

Flooded Bldg.

I been asked to help to resolve the bldg. was seeing 2" water on floor
Where shall I start?
What needs to be done?

Some useful info:
One story metal building used as office, locker room, electric room in CT plant.
Floor is ceramic tile.
a swale/ditch goes by plant/bldg that gets overflowed and is not engineered .
around the building was paved with concrete slab recently without proper drainage - what should I check and how I correct drainage and slope for it?
Down spots discharge may also go to bldg I don't know right location for them?

Please tell things I have to check, calculations need to be done? what and where I start to solve the problem?


RE: Flooded Bldg.

Is their 2" of water on the floor constantly or just after a heavy rainfall event?

First thing you need is a topo survey of the land around the building and the finished floor level. Is land from above or around the site overland flowing through your site? If so you should do a catchment assessment of whats draining to your site and into the swale.

You will need to know the levels, pipe sizes etc of the exiting drainage. This may be shown on the plans, if not you will have to get a utility survey done to confirm it all. You will also need to look at flood maps to see if the building is located in a flood plain.

That is just a starting point.

RE: Flooded Bldg.

EireChch (Geotechnical),
Thank you for your response and direction.
Your question on,"Is land from above or around the site overland flowing through your site? " I don't know so where shall I dig for answer to this question?
"Catchment assessment" what is it? What businesses do this for us?
Again thank you for great direction. I appreciate it.


RE: Flooded Bldg.

You need to know the topography or lie of the land around your site. If your site is at a low spot it may be prone to flooding. Google earth may give you information on the topography (this will be very rough). A walk over of the site will tell you a lot more. Catchment assessment is when know the amount of land that directs storm flows to your site. You work out the time of concentration etc and this will tell you the discharge rate of storm flows. A simple google search will explain a lot for your.

Any civil and or environmental engineering consultancy should do it.

RE: Flooded Bldg.

Quote ("Catchment assessment" what is it? What businesses do this for us?)

It's a surface hydrology question. You need to hire a civil engineer or site hydrologist and a land surveyor. It's not a difficult problem, and should be well within the capabilities of any civil engineering firm that does land development, but it will take some information to figure out. Do NOT hire a contractor directly until you get proper engineering done. Contractors will try to sell you on the idea that they'll throw something in the ground to fix it, and they don't know the math, so you'd be rolling dice. Not smart.

You'll need a topographic survey of the site, details/geometry/elevations of the swale, elevations of finished floors, locations of downspouts, and enough offsite topo to delineate any offsite runon areas. Your engineer will use that information to develop the flow in the ditch, calculate the depths of flow for different rain events, and see if the flow exceeds the depth of the ditch. If it does, your engineer can give you a plan to revise the ditch.

If you'll need a permit for the work, you'll need to hire a civil in your state, to certify the plans meet local and state code.

If you don't have experience hiring surveyors, consider letting your civil engineer handle that for you, so the engineer can be sure he/she gets everything they need.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East - http://www.campbellcivil.com

RE: Flooded Bldg.


Thank you very much EireChch (Geotechnical) and beej67 (Civil/Environmental).
You guys provided me good insight and valuable information, I greatly appreciate for your help.


RE: Flooded Bldg.

No problem.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East - http://www.campbellcivil.com

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close