Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Canopy Sprinklers

Canopy Sprinklers

Canopy Sprinklers

For a building (ordinary hazard, grp 1) that has a lot of sf of attached canopies outside, is the area covered by the canopies calculated separately? That is, 1500 sf of canopies or 1500 sf of indoor pendant heads. NFPA 13 does not address this. The local fire Chief ducked my question and will not answer.
I am thinking that this requires 2 sets of calculations - one for outdoor heads (dry pendant sidewalls) and one for regular upright heads.

Anyone ever deal with this?


RE: Canopy Sprinklers

All the time. 2 sets of calcs for sure.

Be advised, that Porte Cocheres have been added under the OH I in chapter 5 in 2016.

No more light for them.


RE: Canopy Sprinklers

Canopies can require sprinkler protection because they are classified as part of the Fire Area as defined in the IBC. If this is a covered canopy for plant equipment, and the building's Fire Area dictates the installation of an automatic sprinkler system, protection is required.

RE: Canopy Sprinklers

With the speed of modern calculation software, just do the extra set of calcs. It takes maybe 3 min to do the calc and 30 seconds to print. It takes more time to ask the question. You will see, by doing both sets of calculations, which one is more demanding. This will help you in the future to have a more educated guess as to if you need to provide a second set of calculations.

A direct answer of your question is: If the piping configuration, hazard class or c-factor is different than your calculated area, then I would say you need to prove what you are doing.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at https://www.facebook.com/pages/MFP-Design-LLC/9221...

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close