Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Related Articles


DIN flange impact testing exemption for PED compliant vessel

DIN flange impact testing exemption for PED compliant vessel

DIN flange impact testing exemption for PED compliant vessel

Hello everyone,

I'm designing a PED compliant heat exchanger with a MDMT of -20° F and am wondering if anyone familiar with the PED specifications knows whether or not DIN flanges are exempt from impact testing in the same way that ANSI flanges are exempt per UCS-66(c), and if this is the case, what PED spec allows it?

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

RE: DIN flange impact testing exemption for PED compliant vessel

DIN flanges may or may not be exempt. PED doesnt care if it's DIN, JIS, ASME, or whatever. It does however look at material type. See guideline G-17, and PED Annex I para 7.5.

In short, it matters if its carbon steel or stainless steel. Since youre referencing UCS-66(c) Im assuming youre using carbon steel. A workaround, whats often done by (at leats the good) mills, is that they include a PED reference on the MTR for carbon steel material, and include the charpy impact test results. If this happens you know if you material meets PED requirements. But do look out if your MDMT is lower than the typical -27 deg C thats on the MTR.

In the end, all you need to do is fullfill ALL essential safety requirements. Easiest is by using a harmonized standard. Another method is by using e.g. ASM VIII Div 1. But using DIN flanges on VIII-1 together with PED is quite the challenge!

PS: are you sure youre using DIN flanges, and not the EN 1092-1 flanges? Din has been replaced with EN 1092-1

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close