Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Relief valve for accumulator in a closed system?

Relief valve for accumulator in a closed system?

Relief valve for accumulator in a closed system?


what options are their for adding a relief valve for an accumulator? Is it a common requirement and practice to add a relief valve and empty reservoir to accumulator used for energy storage? Should the relief valve be provided for both the nitrogen and hydraulic side?

I have a closed circuit including an accumulator, ball valve and hydraulic cylinder being used to assist with gravity loads. We are operating at 1000 psi where the accumulator has a MOP of 3000. The maximum compression ratio (which is defined by the stroke of the hydraulic cylinder is 2.40). I don't see how the accumulator can be over-pressured as there is no source of power that can generate high pressures even with dynamic operations. I am able to set the relief valve such that the compression ratio does not become excessive.


RE: Relief valve for accumulator in a closed system?

If you install a relief valve to reduce the amount of fluid displaced into the accumulator, you will lose the volume of fluid available to move the cylinder resulting in loss of stroke.

A relief valve should only be used to prevent overpressure damage to components.

No need for a relief valve for the nitrogen charge.


RE: Relief valve for accumulator in a closed system?

In many countries, it is a requirement to add a relief valve to an closed circuit with an accumulator. It is not a legal requirement, more of a directive for safe machine operation.

Likewise, there should be a method of safely releasing any stored pressure and there should be a method of isolating the accumulator for maintenance etc.

All of the above can be achieved by fitting a safety block to the fluid port on the accumulator.

If there is risk of fire, then the gas valve should be fitted with a thermal fuse. As Ted says, there is normally no need to add a pressure relief to the gas, but if there is a risk of a thermal event, then there must be a way of venting the gas if the heat rises. This is usually a plug filled with lead / solder that melts at a given temperature and allows the nitrogen to escape.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close