Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Custom 1/4in Mono Audio Jack

Custom 1/4in Mono Audio Jack

Custom 1/4in Mono Audio Jack

Hi to all,

basiclay im looking for a component that looks and functions like the 1/4in mono oudio jack but with a stright flat end and not tear shaped (so it'll look like the rod next to the jack in the photo).
Was wondering if something like that evailble as off the shelf part or i have to make a custom part (or any other suggestions)?


RE: Custom 1/4in Mono Audio Jack

I suppose the question is how much of the original function do you want to retain?

What you've described already won't align with the socket nearly as easily as the standard jack plug does (because you've eliminated the pointy tip) and won't be retained in the socket as effectively (because you've eliminated the shoulder that does that job).

What do you want to do with this thing? Do you still need the tip to be electrically insulated from the body (for that matter, does the thing need to be electrically conductive at all)? Maybe what you need is a 1/4" pip pin.

If you're struggling to find someone that sells "something a bit like ...., but different in this, that, or the other way", it's sometimes easier to ask "what do people use to do this job - and where do they get it?"


RE: Custom 1/4in Mono Audio Jack

It's a bit hard to explain but i'll try.

First of all i need the conductive properties of the jack to be retained i.e. 2 insulated conductive parts (for a positive and negative poles).
I don't need the tear shaped tip for retention, i need it to be flat, something that resembles more to the pip pin tip.

Basically i want for the jack to be in the shape of the small tube (as shown in the photo next to the jack), the tube is a blasting cap and im working on a training device where instead of the blasting cap the jack will be inserted in its place and close an electrical circuit (hence the need for the 2 insulated from each other but conductive parts) to indicate that the device is armed.

The prototype is working fine with the jack as is, but the company that ordered the training device insisting that whatever replaces the blasting cap will be exactly the same shape and size, the size (length and Dia.) of both the cap and jack are the same but the tip is a problem.

So im looking for an 1/4" mono audio jack with a flat end.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close