Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


on/off contol valve

on/off contol valve

on/off contol valve

I need to spec. out an on/off full port valve on the 150# steam line that feeds the turbine. This valve is a 2" ball valve. I do not have Cv of the valve to come up with delta p thru the valve. How should I spec this valve when Cv is not known yet? Thanks

RE: on/off contol valve

Do you have Crane Technical Paper No. 410? If not, you should get it. Buy it online for $60 here https://store.flowoffluids.com/shop/publications/T...

In the mean time,
For 2" fT = 0.019
K1 = 3fT
CV = 29.9d2/(K1)0.5

Otherwise, contact the valve vendor or manufacturer.

Good luck,

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

RE: on/off contol valve

A truly full port ball valve has a Cv which is almost indistinguishable from a piece of pipe of the same length as the face to face dimension of the valve. To be conservative, add 50% extra length for some disturbance around the seats- but make sure it's truly full port- some valves which claim to be full port have a bore which is still a fair bit smaller than sch40 pipe of that size. But if you want to call something a "control valve", it has to be the controlling resistance to flow in the line- that doesn't sound like what you're doing. An on/off valve which doesn't even try to regulate flow is referred to as an automated block valve (ABV) or emergency block valve (EBV), not as a control valve.

RE: on/off contol valve

You can reverse engineer the required Cv for this trip valve by searching for the range of Cvs' for full port ball valves on the net and computing the dp ( this approach will work if you have the right line for the feed stream to the turbine). Then set the max dp calculated to be the dp permissible for this valve.

More important would be to spec out (a) the max permissible closing time for this steam turbine service (b) whether you need a double trip valve configured to work as an automated double block and bleed to ensure there is no steam leakage in to the turbine body that could otherwise cause temperature bow.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close