Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


AISI 4130

AISI 4130

AISI 4130

HI Friends.,

i am working in valve industry as a design engineer.

I am looking material standrads. which ASTM or SAE standard for AISI 4130 acceptace for large cross section ,

I have reffered ASTM A 29 and other ASTM standard related to AISI 4130. but they can use up to 250 mm diameter.

so what standard for large cross section like 500 or 600 mm and what is the heat treatment standard ?


RE: AISI 4130

The valve standard in the USA is ASME B16.34, which references various material specifications, like ASTM. You would need to convince the B16.34 committee for use of 4130 as valve material.

RE: AISI 4130

Application specific standards aside, you can look up an alloy by its UNS number, and then find all specifications that list that UNS.
So G41300 is listed in the following ASTM specs all preceded by an "A"
A1034, 29, 322, 331, 434, 506, 507, 513, 519, 521, 646, 689, 711, 752, 829, 866
These will all have specific product forms (bar, plate, sheet...) and size limitations.
Virtually all of these will be in the 'mill delivered' condition either A or N.
You will need to refer to other specs for Q&T to specific properties.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

RE: AISI 4130

The bottom line is you may not achieve through thickness minimum properties at section thicknesses of 500 to 600mm for 4130.

RE: AISI 4130

Large tubes in U.S. are usually specified to ASTM A500.

RE: AISI 4130

I would expect OP to know that in 4130 you will only get good uniform hardness to a depth of 3-4" even in water quench. For valve bodies I would hope that they are forged or bored before final heat treat.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close