Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

There is this project that we are working on right now, that has a serious seepage problem (see attached photo). It is an underpass structure which is not completely isolated when built, so water leaks from it's floor and possibly through the walls. The water table is 2 meters below ground level and the structure itself is right below the ground level. The question is, is there any test, a geoelectrical test maybe, to reliably determine the exact place of water leakage so we can find a way to isolate it. Our employer doesn't wants to go through the problem of digging all around structure, pumping water away and isolating from outside of building. the budget is tight, he says.

RE: A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

infrared (thermal-imaging) camera?

RE: A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

Infrared thermography probably won't do much good here because I doubt there is enough thermal differential to show.

You could try dye injection to see if the problem is from above or below. Even if you determine the source, the repair of an area like this will not be cheap! This will be a difficult undertaking and if your budget is severely limited, then you probably won't be able to do anything other than superficial repairs.

RE: A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

You might be tempted to hire a contractor specializing in injecting bentonite slurry or similar.

It might do some good, but sometimes fixing one problem that way causes another problem.

I'd be inclined to saw cut or grind a small "trench" along the up-hill wall. That can collect the water and can direct it to a discharge area more straightforwardly than what is there now.

RE: A water leackage problem on an underpass structure

Thank you all for your kind reply. Actually I was thinking of removing floor to depth of some 30 to 40 centimeters, building an aggregate drain right below floor which collects water in a well, allowing us to pump it away. But this is only applicable if the leakage is happening from floor. If the leakage is happening from walls, I think oldestguy's method of digging a trench along outside of the wall is an inexpensive logical solution to this problem. If there is any other thoughts or cheap solutions to this problem, I would be thankful to hear.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close