Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Flexible Tie Rod

Flexible Tie Rod

Flexible Tie Rod


I am looking for a supplier/manufacturer who provides "flexible" tie rods. With flexible I mean, the tie rod has a kind of spring system included which allows the tie rod to stretch (when the tie rod is in tension) or to contract (when the tie rod is in compression). The delta of movement should be +/- 5mm. At best this tie rod is already certified for a use in civil aircraft. Thanks in advance!


RE: Flexible Tie Rod

When VWs were first engaged in off-road racing, suspension failures were not uncommon.
One of the first aftermarket products developed for that hard service was a flexible tie rod. It had standard ends, but instead of being straight, the actual rod had a gentle curve built in, so that excessive tensile/compressive forces just caused an elastic change of curvature. The simplicity appeals to my sense of style, but it might be too heavy to make an aircraft designer happy.

You seem to be imagining some arrangement like opposed cupped seats surrounding a ball, all preloaded by two compression springs. ... which could certainly be made to work, and similar arrangements were part of the servovalve assembly in early power steering setups.

For aircraft, it may exist already, I just don't deal in the right market to know about it.

Perhaps you could reveal which aircraft you'd like to put it in?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

RE: Flexible Tie Rod

What is it for? airliner, general aviation. Is it restraining significant mass. What do the failure cases look like.

Can you get away with using something like rubber isolating mounts. I think some of the overhead bins in airliners have sprung tie rods in them used in them. Although if you are only after a few, an aircraft scrap yard might be a good place to start (otherwise the manufactures tend to want to sell you something customized).

RE: Flexible Tie Rod

I have never seen an off-the-shelf tie rod device with the linear spring rate characteristics you describe suitable for use on an aircraft that will undergo certification. You will likely need to design, manufacture and qualify a tie rod for your specific application.

RE: Flexible Tie Rod

For many applications (in general), the end-stops / bump-stops can have some compliance.

Mentioned just in case 'end-of-travel' is the ultimate purpose.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close