Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here




I have pretty basic but important question.
I would like to know if a CLOMR or CLOMR/LOMR is needed for a project.
The site is an old mining pit next to a creek with Q100= 6,500 cfs on the north end. Mining stopped decades ago, the site now has thick brush, and trees. The topography shows the eroded channel bank on the north. FIRM confirms that the site gets flooded in the 100 yr event. The floodway/floodplain covers the entire site. THE bottom of the mining is pit is some 50-60 ft below the channel and eroded bank. The FEMA study was done in the 70’s that established the FIRM Map. The channel is deep and relatively steep, so I am not sure if that site gets flooded completely as shown on the FIRM. I mean, I don’t know if it’s going to pond up the entire 10 acres site to the BFE which would be 60’ feet water.
My client wants to grade the site and fill it up to the street level. On the north side, the grading would look like a 1.5:1 slope wall that will become part of the channel bank that’s eroded currently. FEMA does not have a digital copy of the study done to establish the FIRM.
We have the latest topography of the site and will model the channel in RAS. The PROJECT is basically to fill up the site with dirt. We are applying for a grading permit at the City.
My question, Is this CLOMR or LOMR?


sounds like a CLOMR which will then need to be as-built and submitted as a LOMR.


Thanks, cvg. Thats what I thought too. kinda of new to this.

I should have said LOMR or CLOMR/LOMR in my question. One other question I have, Do I need to tie the model DS and US to a know FEMA cross section BFE? I only have topo good 300' US and DS of our site not beyond. FEMA sections are far beyond from the site. IS it ok to use normal depth for US and DS? or do they have to tie to know FEMA sections?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close