Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Modification Safety Classification

Modification Safety Classification

Modification Safety Classification

I have a non-safety related mod and am powering a non-safety related load from a safety-related panelboard class 1E circuit. Does this automatically make my entire mod safety-related?

Thank you

RE: Modification Safety Classification

In my experience, you will have appropriate isolation features between the safety and non-safety portion of your system (e.g., two safety-related fuses). If the modification is occurring entirely "downstream" of your isolation features and does not require changes to the design of the safety portion (I.e., no changes to the characteristics of the load that require your safety-related uninterruptable power system to be modified), then your changes should be non-safety-related.

Your local licensing engineer who is cognizant for Chapter 8 of your FSAR should also be able to help you make the call.

RE: Modification Safety Classification

While your mod would need to be classified as a Safety Related modification, coincident with the highest safety classification of the components affected by the modification, that doesn't mean that every component added by your modification will need to be classified as safety related. You would need to follow all your procedures and ANSI N45.2.11 requirements for a Safety Related modification and evaluate your impact to the Safety Related components. You also need to make sure you're not violating anything from your original licensing basis, or you may need to go through the 50.59 evaluation process to determine whether you need NRC approval before making the change. Get Licensing involved early in the process.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close