Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

MTR/heat # questions

MTR/heat # questions

MTR/heat # questions

New to this site. In my particular state & industry MTRs are not typically a big concern or requirement. However, recently I have had a customer ask for one. I have a couple of specific questions about navigating this new-to-me territory.

I buy ferrules, clamps, etc. from companies overseas and resell in the states - I want to know if there is anyway to change the name of the company on the MTR or transfer the heat # to my company name? Or can I provide the quality control information but not the contact information for the company I buy from? Basically I just don't want my customers going straight to the source.

Any guidance here is much appreciated. Thanks!

RE: MTR/heat # questions

Changing anything, making an alteration on a MTR is a big no no. It is possible that you could accurately transfer the required info to paperwork under your company logo, certify that it is a true representation of fact and assume the responsibility for the information. A lot will depend on the code(s) you are working to.

RE: MTR/heat # questions


I buy ferrules, clamps, etc. from companies overseas and resell in the states - I want to know if there is anyway to change the name of the company on the MTR or transfer the heat # to my company name?

No, this is not permitted by any reputable Standard. Give the customer the original MTR, period.

RE: MTR/heat # questions

That's what non-circumvent agreements with either your customer or your vender are for!

RE: MTR/heat # questions

You can enter the data from the MTR into your system, and then generate a new MTR with your letterhead.
When you do that you are taking responsibility for the accuracy and truth of the information, and liability.
You might want to think twice about this.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

RE: MTR/heat # questions

I suppose you could conduct independent tests to determine the chemistry and the mechanical properties of the base metals in question. Metallographic testing could determine the grain size, microstructure, etc. You would still be walking on the sleazy side of the street as far as most would be concerned. Then again, I guess I would trust independent verification testing over testing performed by some overseas vendors that have already established their unreliability.

Best regards - Al

RE: MTR/heat # questions

Agree with Ed. Warehouse suppliers do this routinely.

RE: MTR/heat # questions

charlieshearer, I suppose you could offer a Certificate of Compliance, under your company name. This just states the item meets whatever it is supposed to meet. Done all the time in my industry for various small parts.



The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

RE: MTR/heat # questions

Absolutely agree with SnTMan, there can be a Certificate of Conformance and not an MTR. This is done routinely in the Power Generation business.

RE: MTR/heat # questions

Yes, I think Conformance is the preferred term, thanks metengr

RE: MTR/heat # questions

Fabricators (in our case a tube mill) 'pass through' the chemistry off of the original mill cert.
We don't do a new chem, we just use the one supplied to us, and then we generate a CMTR. We add the testing that we did and the necessary data.
It is the same for fastener work, they test strength, but the chem just comes straight off of the original mill cert.
If you are not changing the product form, doing any cold work or heat treating, or anything else to change properties them a CofC is what is traditionally used.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close