Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

I am looking for a panel nut with specific dimensions of 3/8-32 thread, 1/2 inch across flats, and 3/32 inch thick to mount a switch in an aircraft's engine compartment. The catch seems to be that I am looking for stainless steel nuts, however the only ones I have come across are either nickel or zinc plated steel. The nuts will require two holes for lock wire, which I can add (I have not found any with the size specifications I listed), however a plated nut is out of the question because of the need to drill the lock wire holes. I thought that this size panel nut in stainless steel would be common (and I would rather not spend for custom made), but am finding that not to be the case.

Does anyone know why it is so hard to find this size of panel nuts in a stainless steel? Even better, can anyone direct me to a supplier? Thanks!

RE: Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

Thanks for the links, VE1BLL. Unfortunately, the outer diameter across the flats is too big for each. 1/2" across the flats for the given thread and thickness I need is very hard to find in stainless steel for some reason. Strange. I'm searching using "jamnut" as a keyword now also.

RE: Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

Those are 5/8" and already look pretty thin.

1/2" is going to be wafer-thin.

Good luck.

RE: Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

Drill and tap your own piece of sheet metal?

RE: Panel Nut for Aircraft Switch - hard to find

The nut you want is basically an MS25082 part number with a "C" suffix for cres. However, these panel switch nuts were designed to be used with tabbed lock washers, so they don't have lock wire holes.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close